Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Not about the wedding.

I know, basically all that's on my brain right now is the wedding, but I also have LOTS going on in other departments.  My professional life, for example, is wonderful.  I'm enjoying my job with the arts council and I'm getting to do some wicked good freelancing work.  I'm LOVING it. 

I just met with my (second) cousin, Mallory McCormick to discuss her future business venture - Fit to Be Bride, a personal training business that gets brides in shape for their big day.  We're working on a trade deal where they'll shape me up (hello, testimonials!) and I'll design their business suite, logo, etc.  I'm eager to get this on the ground since I've done more wedding suites than business identity work.  It'll be a very welcomed change of pace.

One thing I enjoy when meeting with a client is to discuss what they think their business should "feel" like.  For example, I ask the question "If your business were a ______, it would be..."  Insert the word "animal," "song," "character from Arrested Development" and you've got a great idea of the vibe the business is going for.  Let the business owner really steep on this idea.  They'll start understanding that designing an identity isn't all about the fonts and colors...it's about what feel they're trying to convey.  It's a fun little exercise I use often...even for the wedding! :)

No comments: