Friday, February 25, 2011

Letterpress! Pressing Letters!


It’s 10:47 on a Friday night and we’re not out on the town, not at a concert, not at a basketball game…we’re doing something MUCH more exciting. (Well, I’m doing something more exciting…Jeff is watching the Thunder get their butts whooped.)  This is like wiggle around for 3 days exciting.
I have sent in a beautiful file to a wonderful company called Boxcar Press. This file will be made into a letterpress plate, which will get shipped back to me on Tuesday. I’ll be able to hand-make our very own letterpress wedding invitations! Oh gosh, this is going to be neat. 

(This is letterpress via OhHappyDay! – the design is pressed deep into thick, cotton paper, leaving a crisp, beautiful image. Ah, it’s so pretty.)



I’ll give you some background on why this process and product are so important to me – I am a very tactile person. I love getting/giving hugs, I love massages, my love language is touch, I feel my way through the store as I shop for clothes, I enjoy textured things, etc. Well, my sister, being the awesome lady she is, got me a littleDIY letterpress machine for Christmas 2010. I haven’t letterpressed anything too important so far…basically been practicing on scrap paper until I can get to our wedding invites. Since I don’t have too much experience, don’t judge too hard if your invitation has little imperfections. Consider them proof that I’m learning a new craft and someday I can make you neat stationery.

I won’t give any hints on the design because I want you to be surprised when you get your piece of mail, but know this…our wedding invitations are going to be really sweet, different, touchy, pretty and perfect for our shindig in May. I’m really excited to see them! Like, wiggle around excited! :)

3 comments:

Christi said...

Yay! I can't wait to see (and touch) them!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

I wiggled with excitement until the day I got to give you your machine! (wait... then i wiggled more too) :) Glad it's going to such great use... I was thinking you could use it for "thank yous" for shower gifts for for other random things... never would have dreamed they'd get used for the REAL DEAL invitations! Awesome!

(P.S. I just posted as USA Drug... decided to change it to my real name.)