Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Motivators

What motivates you to work? My top three motivators have changed quite a bit since my very first job out of graduate school. At that point, I was making enough for me and Mabel (my Westie dog cohort) to live by, and I was the recipient of free cable leftovers from the previous tenant. (I almost lost it when the cable finally turned to fuzz.) At work I was pretty low, actually...the lowest, on the totem pole, and was an eager young woman with a Master's Degree in advertising. (Hint: when you finish grad school you might not necessarily make a hefty salary.)

I actually remember my first winter living in Tulsa. My little 4-plex apartment was built in the early 1900s, had an old, creaky floor furnace and drafty windows. My bedroom didn't stay warm whatsoever. My mom came to town to take me to dinner, and insisted we stop by Target afterward to 'pick up a few things.' I needed laundry detergent and milk, but as we passed the bedding section, mom stopped and put a giant, king-sized fleece blanket in our basket. She then proceeded to find a space heater. She informed me that her job as a mother was to make sure I wasn't hungry or cold. I cried in the middle of Target. Not my finest moment, but one of my most memorable with momma.

My boss had asked me to send her my top three motivators for working. Top motivator? Money. I wanted to get paid more. I didn't really care much for pats on the back or high fives - those didn't keep me full. I can't recall what my other two were, but I'm sure they were petty and puerile.

Fast forward to Friday. I had a meeting with my current boss and I decided to share my top motivators as a working woman today. I may have grown up a bit with my list. (PS - she didn't ask me to bring my top motivators to her - I simply wanted her to be aware of what lights a fire under me. I recommend you do the same with your boss!)
1. Advancement. Whether it be title, added responsibilities or taking on new projects, I want to advance with this group of health care professionals. I can see myself here for many years, and I hope to gain more understanding each day with what our role is in society, and what patients can expect from us.
2. Recognition. I am now to the point in my career that when I receive a "Job Well Done" email, I become very proud of what I've accomplished. Being recognized for my contributions in this role is very important to me.
3. Creative Allowance. Yes. In a very structured health care world, I still hope to be offered creative flexibility with my marketing efforts. I drove this point home, because now I don't do any graphic design during my day job. I simply market, and I'm happy with that. It's just that I'm missing a little bit of creativity now and again. So. Now my boss knows that any creative opportunities that come up will be eagerly approaced by me.

I'm happy that I shared my motivators at my desk job. I'll spend some time thinking about what motivates me with my design business, because I'm sure those points are night and day different.

Now your turn. Think about what motivates you. What fuels your engine?

No comments: