Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Handiwork.

I've decided to add some spice to my normal, usually-daunting midterms, which let me add that I haven't had an actual midterm paper or test in the longest time...it's odd that I'm ending my college career with one. Anyway, for my artist and venue management class (mmm...I love it) I've been given three questions to answer. The final question is about different types of marketing - I've written my paper and designed it well (with Helvetica typefaces), but it needed a little something extra.



I've been getting really interested in hand-drawn type, thanks to my art directors seminar. I guess that when you see a product packaging with hand-drawn type, you feel a little closer to that product. Like that product is a little more human - a bit more handled and warm. I've also been immersing myself with Hand Job, a book on type design. (Hint, friends and family - this would make an excellent Christmas pressie!) I've even begun to design my graduation announcements, which I'm pretty sure will be sent to about 5 people. But I'm going to hand-draw the whole thing, scan it in and hopefully screenprint em. We'll see how that goes later on.



Also, for my art directors seminar we were given a title and asked to draw or comp our own interpretation of what that would look like as a font. Some folks were given "Lovey Dovey," "Critter Hill," and "Pack It In." My font was named "Mania Two." Here's what I came up with...



I basically took inspiration from a font I had downloaded and resketched it with my calligraphy pen and ink, being sure to add my own taste and flair to the project. I made the font much more active and wired. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - it makes me feel pretty manic, so I guess it's doing its job. I'm wanting to branch off and make a few more fonts, just for fun. Anyone have a weird title for me to work on? I'll draw it up and post it on the blog when I finish - OK, go.

1 comment:

Jason said...

How about... Fishpaste... or... Logjam... or... Teenage Angst... or... Essence of an Awkward Meeting Between One-Time Acquaintances?